Sunday, March 20, 2011

Welcome to Got Pop?!

Hello people or person reading this post:
I have decided to blog (about 10 years after it was new and popular). One of my biggest passions is pop culture - I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that. Perhaps my biggest passion should be saving the dolphins or providing clean water for every single inhabitant on the earth (both good things BTW) but while I work on changing my priorities, whoever reads this (most likely myself because I'm such a fan!) should know that the focus is on pop culture and Jesus.

It's been said that "all truth is God's truth" and I would agree. I don't know if it's completely healthy to focus on depressing truths or oblivious truths but I like looking for illustrations and truths that film, music, art, television and the net provide. Today, there will be no truth parallels, just a top ten list of my favorite pop stuff:
10. Funny websites - Awkward Family Photos, etc. I can't cite all websites because, if I did, chances are people would be offended at the content. I like being a pastor but also take my responsibilities of recommending things seriously. I will try my best to give adequate warnings regarding things that may offend. Take them seriously.
9. Archie Comics - funny, dated and if I was Archie, I wouldn't be so lame as to try to date two hot girls at the same time.
8. Western Film - John Wayne, Young Guns, Seven Samurai (look up the definition of western film), Once Upon A Time in the West, Shane and 3:10 to Yuma - my wife says they're boring and I say "No" - what a convicting argument.
7. The Simpsons - there was a time when I knew every episode by heart but having kids changed that as by the time my oldest was two, she could state all the main characters plus the secondary ones. My wife wasn't impressed and since my daughter started quoting the show herself, we decided it best not to watch in front of them.
6. Marc Chagall - I like his paintings - yes, I am adding this just to make it look like I'm cultured. I do like his paintings but need to be reminded which ones are his.
5. Gangster Films - Goodfellas, Road to Perdition, etc. There's something spiritual in having power and being totally afraid that you're condemned to hell because of it - I like the duel that occurs between a gangster of who he'd like to be and who he really is.
4. Venom and Wolverine - two comic characters who really add depth, violence and fun to Spiderman and the X-Men/Avengers, etc.
3. Scott Pilgrim series - Bryan Lee O'Malley wrote this and he's a genius - vegan police, Sex Bob-omb, Knives Chau. Great imagination and the film (directed by the guy who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) was well done.
2. Wrestling autobiographies - I know, lame with a capital LAME but I've liked wrestling since I was a kid. I don't watch Raw or Smackdown but do keep up with what's going down. The best reads: "Have A Nice Day!" by Mick Foley, "A Lion's Tale" by Chris Irvine and "Hitman: My Life in the Real World of Cartoon Wrestling (or something like that)" by Bret Hart. I love to hear the backstage gossip, who didn't get along with whom, real fights, fake fights and how a wrestler can manage having a family and being this business (for the most part - they can't).
1. Video Games - Wii? Got it. XBox? Got it. PS3? Got it. DS? My wife's got it but she lost it. PSP? Yes until my son wrecked it. I love getting Christmas and birthday money - guess where it goes?

There's lots of other cool stuff that I like but we'll save that for an official post.
Pop...
Greg

No comments: