Friday, April 8, 2011

Top Five Books


A couple of days ago, I tried to answer the top five books that I've ever read. I had to think because I read quite a bit (maybe a book a week tops) but I never categorized books like I do films, music, etc. So, after careful thought, here it is:

5. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
A childhood favorite. How many horrible things can one boy endure? There is hope and there are good people that exist in the world but poor Oliver is surrounded by people who generally don't fall into this category. I love Dickens, even though I find his descriptions too much as I want to paint my own pictures of what scenarios look like.

4. Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
I read this and didn't stop until I was done. An excellent way to write a career was by doing audio diaries for many years in order to be as accurate as possible and that's what he did. At times a dark look into the behind-the-scenes look at wrestling (i.e. drug addictions, firing of talent, infidelities) but also a well written account of how one man overcame the shadow of his father and his crazy family. There's a lot of language in the book and I could do without Bret talking about his many sexual conquests on the road. As a wrestler, few can compare to the stories he told in the ring with other greats and not-so greats but as a person, I read about a man who emerged out of the wrestling world, scarred, battered and sinful but still alive. Aren't we all that?

3. The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
I'm more of a Marvel Comics guys as compared to DC Comics. DC comics has mutiverses and some pretty goofy superheroes (not that Marvel doesn't have it's share) but often the storytelling can be better than many Marvel stories. This is the one that puts it in the top five. Who is the Holiday Killer? A well written mystery focused on three men: Batman, Commissioner Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent. Dent, if you saw the 2008 film The Dark Knight, eventually becomes Two Face, a villain who decides the fate of people by the flip of a coin. Most of the characters who are killed would be described as deserving their fate as they are members of a crime family but what is real justice? Is it vigilante style or is it seeing law and order being upheld. There is a serial killer out there who is killing members of the Falcone family as well as other important people who would help fit the puzzle. The ending is a surprise and I when I put it down, I realized how well-played the book had been in pointing out the obvious.

2. Heavier Than Heaven by Charles Cross
The definitive book for any Nirvana/Kurt Cobain fan. It's exhaustive and thorough in its research. It chronicles his early childhood, his teen years, his pre and post-fame days and the tragic final weeks of his life. It also guesses as accurately as one can about his final day on earth. I have found a lot of illustrations in this book about a myriad of subjects that I could preach on. The importance of loving children is never made more abundantly clear than the life of a man who never got enough. An enjoyable and sad read.

What's number 1 you may ask? If you're one of the singles and singles people reading this blog, I don't have a number one book. I could say something like the Bible but it wouldn't be true. The Bible is convicting and provides so much sage advice but it can be a tedious read. I could say, A Wrinkle in Time but I haven't read it enough times to warrant a number one. Super Fudge was a childhood favorite. The Church on the Other Side is a must read for anyone tired of same-old/same-old religion/denominational attempts at trying to insulate Christians in a sub-par cultural bubble. There's tonnes of good books/graphic novels out there. Fiction, non-fiction, religious, etc., etc. What's on YOUR top five? I've fixed the comment section for this blog (I think) so let me know what books you like!

Pop...
Greg

No comments: